Innovation it's a tool, not a goal on education. (Debate propossal)

Hi @MiguelAranda - thank you for posting this!

I think that it is helpful to more clearly define “innovation” in this context, as I am not sure that it is a synonym of “technology.” I like Larry Keeley’s definition: “the creation of a new, viable business offering.” I also think his / Doblin’s framework on the Ten Types of Innovation is an extremely useful framework in this (and any) context: Ten Types | Doblin

You write of obsolescence, which, in my mind, is a later stage in the innovation lifecycle: “ideation ==> conception ==> adoption ==> disruption ==> sustenance ==> obsolescence ==> retrieval.” A concept (be it a strategy or technology) is only rendered obsolete when it is overtaken by disruption from another concept such that sustenance is rendered ineffectual.

The late Clayton Christensen’s work on disruptive innovation is an extremely worthwhile related read, especially his book titled The Innovator’s Dilemma.

@Adeshola , @VidalG and @AnnieM - I am interested in each of your takes here, given your respective backgrounds in innovation, education and the creative arts.

2 Likes