LXP use and benefits

Curious who is already using an LXP (Learner Experience Platform) and what benefits they are seeing from it. How are you using it? Who is using it? What are you measuring? Thanks!
Also happy to share my experiences as well! Thanks!
Sandy Rezendes
Head of Global Learning
John Hancock/Manulife

1 Like

I have to admit, I am a passive lurker, and appreciate the content so far.

1 Like

Not a user but curious to the responses too!

2 Likes

We have outgrown our LMS and are just beginning to consider an LXP. There does not seem to be any out of the box solutions that fit our current and future needs. We also have an issue with some very legacy customized systems that cannot integrate with anything. What are the benefits beyond an LMS?

1 Like

Being in Graduate and Post Graduate Engineering Teaching, I lead the team of 3 professors from industry background in implementing LXP. Now we are conducting “Project Management Facilitation” to students who are doing mini and main academic projects. Its lively and entertaining with wisdom transferred to participants in an unconventional but effective way

2 Likes

Hi Sandy, that’s a great question. As a part of what I do for a living, I spend a great deal of time interfacing with learning leaders and talking with them about their purchase decisions and what they utilize learning technology for. The original “category innovator” in the LXP market was Degreed, and they got their start as a robust content discovery tool. However, over the years, LXP has come to mean “learning technology that’s more robust and feature-rich than an LMS, and enables doing more sophisticated things than deploying SCORM objects”.

If that sounds a little vague, that’s because it is. Many different types of solutions providers use the LXP moniker to market and sell their solutions.

There are four reasons we see folks buy LXPs:

1. Consolidation (there’s overlap between the various solutions that L&D uses, they want to bring the number of solutions down and make it easier to build and deploy complex initiatives)

In these circumstances, we see folks measure success against things like administrative load, demand on IT resources, and how scalable an initiative is without bringing in additional headcount or facilitators. They usually stick to whatever ROI measurement they had before.

1. Differentiation (As associations get better at L&D, they become more discerning and are looking for more granularity- wanting “the finer wine” of technology over time)

In this case, the measurement tends to become a lot more granular- in onboarding; it takes the shape of speed to productivity. In leadership development they measure turnover, as well as look at 360s, employee engagement surveys, and promotability. In sales enablement, they measure client satisfaction, issue resolution, and net-new bookings growth. Getting at a lot of that Kirkpatrick 3 & 4 type data.

1. Augmentation (making ourselves better- adding more muscle to what you’re doing, such as adding a collaboration tool to an ILT tool)

In this case, they typically look at improvements across existing metrics like engagement and completion.

1. White space (net-new, we don’t have anything like this).

This usually takes the form of an introduction of a new learning modality (like virtual reality, learning in the flow of work/at the point of need, etc.). The most crucial metrics are usually satisfaction and utilization.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Yes, this is 100% on target, @NotInKansasAnymore, at least from our perspective.

Appreciate your knowledge and this post.

Howdy friends, I’ve implemented a few different LXPs (Degreed, Stream by LearningPool, and EdCast…which is now part of Cornerstone). I too was skeptical at first with LXPs, but I grew to appreciate the value they add to a learning experience. A couple of things from my experience:

LXP is uniquely different from a LMS. I have not seen an experience where you can say…we’ve outgrown our LMS…we need a LXP. While they are similar, they are different enough and each serves a specific purpose. There are elements of a LMS that are not addressed (or addressed very poorly by a LXP). Conversely, there are elements of a LXP that a LXP does very well and that an LMS struggles with.

So the best scenarios I’ve seen play out is using both a LXP in combination with a LMS. The LXP sits on the front end of the learner experience and severs as a portal/front door to the overall ecosystem. When the time calls for a more formal / compliance-driven training event, the user is sent to the LMS to deliver that training.

Actually, coming back to that word portal…I think it probably the best way to think about a LXP. It is a portal catch-all experience for any conceivable learning content. Did someone listen to a podcast, watch a youtube/ted talk video, attend or watch a webinar, read an article on HBR, Inc, MindTools, read a book, etc, etc. Think about each of those experiences that the user is consuming content as a training and development experience. Reading an article is not a formal training event, but if a person reads and article and is leveled up from that experience, this is precisely where a LXP adds value. It serves as a platform to let a user record all of these more informal, “learning in the flow of work” type experiences.

Those experiences are typically not something a LMS handles well. A LMS can handle SCORM files and more formal / official training events exceptionally well. But when you want to capture more of training “resources” as opposed to formal “courses”, the LXP can handle that exceptionally well.

Wow, I didn’t mean for this response to be so long. If you’re still reading, I’d go back to I think the best and most optimal experience is when you combined both the LXP as the front door portal experience and integrate it with a more back end delivery of a LMS.

Whew, I think I’m done. :slight_smile:

1 Like