Book club LIVE event tomorrow April 20 with Adam Morgan

Sorry Spock, Emotions Drive Business: Proving the Value of Creative Ideas With Science

This LIVE, virtual Book Club session is with author Adam Morgan, Executive Creative Director at Adobe and one of AdWeek’s top “Creative 100” inspiring creative minds in marketing, media, and culture in the world.

Adam will discuss his book Sorry Spock, Emotions Drive Business: Proving the Value of Creative Ideas With Science, and discuss the value of creativity and design with hard science. Adam will review creativity’s role in learning, memory and retention and engage in a Q&A around cultivating creative environments and how to best use creativity to drive transformation initiatives.

Post your thoughts afterward as replies here!

2 Likes

Here is the link to the Book Club Session with Adam Morgan.

1 Like

Do you believe in cultivating creativity within the workplace?

And how does your organization foster collaboration and creativity across individuals and teams?

1 Like

I reread my own question above and thought it a bit ridiculous. For me, a yes/no question of “do you believe in cultivating creativity within the workplace” is like asking, "would you like more money?" or “should we be kind to our children?” Who would answer no straight off - without at least hearing the conditions?

But Adam presents the case of the naysaying, risk-averse boss. At about the 5:10 mark in Adam’s presentation, the client asks Adam “how do I tell my boss that a creative idea is better than a straightforward approach.” Adam tries to step out of the subjectivity of creativity and into science and logic. He seeks to make the Case for Creativity through research and data analysis while stressing that a creative idea is an emotional idea.

Personally, I think humans can become addicted to the novelty of creativity. I blame the complexities of “Creativity” for my unfinished projects (and even my sentences), for many of my most fanciful fears, and certainly for my nightmares. And perhaps like many things, adopting moderation may help. Wasn’t it the great creative Oscar Wilde who said “Everything in moderation, including moderation?”

From our consumer and business technologies to popular culture icons, we consume creative output with insatiable desire. We expect our products and even our personal relationships to be regularly transformed through acts of creativity - either by a new item, packaging, person, or fully new entity.

We want new episodes in a new season, a new model vehicle, a transformed gadget, and a new ingredient in our fusion cuisine. Even dead artists return in a new, “immersive” exhibit that remakes our starry nights, and every major holiday brings us old-school candy dressed in new sparkly packaging and new flavors.

So who’s gonna admit to squelching Creativity in the workplace? Creativity is apparently alive and well and brings us fun gifts.

There are some who have their reasons. Managers may assert that hyper creativity reduces efficiency and causes the mind to wander. Others include those who are risk-averse or those who stand to lose money, or those who wish to preserve their social standing. Some may be tired or lazy or actually can’t change because fears have crippled them. I acknowledge that opening the flood gates to workplace creativity can increase confusion and introduce doubts that can grow into bigger trouble. It’s enough to make a worker go mad - queue the mad artist imagery.

Personally, I enjoy work’s creative opportunities and channel creative energy through optional, low-stress Slack channels or side projects and discussions. I like a good strategic plan that adopts creatively with circumstances. I don’t value creating “new” processes or programs merely in the name of creativity. I enjoy working with creative team members in the workforce on real world issues, especially with those who know how to behave and function and deliver at the highest caliber. This takes practice and focus and is incredibly inspiring. It’s the true art of workforce creativity.

If you’re interested in more references about creativity check out the “Encyclopedia of Creativity” and “Everyday Creativity” by Ruth Richards.