8 principles for ethical AI at work, according to the White House

The Department of Labor has established eight principles for the ethical development and deployment of AI systems at work. They are:

• Workers should have input in the design, development and oversight of workplace AI systems, especially those from underserved communities.
  • AI systems should be designed and trained in a way that protects workers.
  • Organizations should have clear governance, oversight and evaluation processes for workplace AI systems.
  • Employers should be transparent about the AI systems used in the workplace.
  • AI systems should not violate workers’ rights to organize, health and safety rights, wage rights or anti-discrimination protections.
  • AI systems should assist, complement and enable workers while improving job quality.
  • Employers should support or upskill workers during AI-related job transitions.
  • Workers’ data used by AI systems should be limited, used for legitimate business purposes and handled responsibly.

The full fact sheet can be found here.

My take-away is that, common to all transformational initiatives, for the application and successful use in the performance workspace, the people who are being impacted must be included in the planning, design, and implementation. The value proposition must reflect and represent the community.

1 Like

Hi Bill @WJRyan,
It’s a starting point I guess! When searching for protecting intellectual property, copyrights and original works I found zero in these areas… This to me is problematic but it might be some kind of legalese that is somewhere baked into the eight principles? If you feel it is please comment either way! You are fantastic Bill for posting this!!!

1 Like

Too kind @Roxann and the one that I find confusing is about “protects workers”. How do you/me/we define “protect”? I have my opinion (no surprise!) but I see this as a good intention but one that will need a deeper dive.