Quotable Quotes: "Design isn't just about making things beautiful..."

I’m fond of quotes and truthfully it is often some parts of a quote or even revisions of recent and historical quotes that are often passed down in disciplines and cultures for centuries. The influence and intentionally is interesting to think about and maybe you would like to add your own here too in the comments. What quote has influenced you the most in learning experience design ?

I will make a design of all of the quotes from the comments :).

Making meaningful action based experiences influenced by quotes suggests designing potential powerful personalized learning experiences.

Here’s one to ponder.
Mark David Milliron, Ph.D ., Senior Vice President of Western Governors University (WGU) and Executive Dean of the Teachers College

“Design isn’t just about making things beautiful; it’s also about making things work beautifully.” -Roger Martin, Celebrated Author, Business Consultant, Professor Emeritus at University of Toronto

MORE QUOTES LINK

LINK

1 Like

As I sit with my morning coffee beginning my week, I am reminded of 2 of Donald Norman’s quotes that have stuck with me thru the years, “Design is really an act of communication, which means having a deep understanding of the person with whom the designer is communicating.” & “Good design is actually a lot harder to notice than poor design, in part because good designs fit our needs so well that the design is invisible”. I have these highlighted in his book, The Psychology of Everyday Thing that is still a good read! Thanks @Roxann for starting the week off thoughtfully!

1 Like

Hi Bill @WJRyan,
It is a beautiful morning, even though it’s raining here in CT!!! I am pondering both quotes and absolutely finding quote 2 led me to think more deeply about it! What does it mean for LXD? Maybe designers of learning experiences should keep foremost in mind that design needs to fit’s our needs (quote 2 Bill). First of all, design fitting our needs, suggests clarity of the need(s) first, however, the intent is meaningful and needs priority attention.

I would be honored to make a collection of the quotes that arrive in the comments! :grinning:

1 Like

Quote 2 is one of my guiding lines @Roxann and fits in the LXD framework because of its design intent of blending into the process flow, it happens without notice. In the workflow a person experiences completing the task(s) at hand are opportunities to weave instruction and support at the point and time of need. The experience is learning in action.

A new quote I share is from Stefaan van Hooydonk who said, “Curiosity is the only way to be prepared.” I’ve found that when I create the space for people to be curious, they learn despite themselves!

1 Like

“The best way to experience an experience is to experience it.” - Bill Moggridge, speaking to the value of prototyping in designing experiences

3 Likes

“Design is the art that comes to life when someone engages it.” - Professor Matt Kahn, Stanford University

2 Likes

Hi Peter, @pmacdo20
Thanks for adding your two quotes! Both Bill Moggridge, and Professor Matt Kahn, Stanford University perspectives are noteworthy.

Prototyping is valuable especially in designing learning situations fore example, like simulations, which can often lead to diverse outcomes leading to discussion and new learning. Definitively indeed consequential.
Thank you !

1 Like