Share Your 2024 L&D Predictions with the LX

Can you believe it’s almost 2024?! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

As we get ready to close out 2023 and move into the New Year, we want to hear your predictions for next year. :star_struck:

What emerging trends, technologies, or methodologies do you believe will have the most significant impact on Learning and Development in 2024, AND how do you anticipate, if at all, adapting your strategies to leverage these changes? :thinking:

2 Likes

This is one of my favorite times in the L&D year, on the platform formerly known as Twitter I use #Trends2024 as I gaze into the crystal ball and share others ideas too. Myself, I see the use of generative AI platforms pulling back as companies take a pause to see what levels of effectiveness and efficiency have been identified vs the costs incurred. Two others I’m watching is leadership development moving up in the priorities and changing to meet the needs of remote and hybrid workers, and I also see a renewed increase in workflow learning forced by the needs of remote and hybrid workers. An unexpected benefit to the last point is that it will provide organizations the opportunity to revise and update outdated processes and procedures, a business benefit!

Here are some others you (and all!) to consider, 11 Learning and Development Trends That Will Shape 2024 | thirst

2 Likes

Thanks Melissa for opening up this futuristic discussion!
I think about reflection, as the year ends, as being important mostly, because if provides an opportunity to review and to start/or begin again with a new lens on things that might have looked unclear, fuzzy, blurry, or nebulous- perhaps this is related to mostly what AI was at the beginning and might even look that way now. As AI matures, definitely still having growing pains, and becomes more widely used/accepted, as integration is happening rapidly in browsers/ Internet/applications, I believe AI will be looked at as one of the important technological developments of this decade.
Predictions are difficult as things are impermanent, futurizing is difficult.
Within the next five years and we will see AI become so integrated into many professions in new ways yet to be discovered, most of us will not consciously, want to or even be able to separate AI from what is not AI.
In higher education, there will be more conscious decisions made to lean into AI and a perspective that it directly affects jobs of the future as much as it does jobs of the present.
In Industry, it continues to seem more ahead of higher ed in acceptance of benefits outweighing risks… but time will tell. Risk/benefit analysis is always impermanent as well.
This brings to mind a brilliant woman, professor at Harvard, Dr. Ellen Langer, who was the first tenured woman at Harvard , and recently at 76 has just published another another book!
She discusses having a mind that is open and curious as a goal of living a mindful existence vs our default mindlessness. I won’t go further, but as I read, watch and listen to brilliant minds in education and business, I speculate more collective wisdom from both H.Ed. and business/industry will continue to shape teaching and learning communities or practice. And that is hopeful and positive for instructional/learning design professionals! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Bill, @WJRyan
Great comment! I’m not seeing the pause yet but I’m imagining a slowing down. On the other hand it might just be getting started as many people can great their own GPT’s. As it opens up I don’t see it slowing down and I am not sure what that would look like. I use X too (formerly Twitter) and don’t see that pause just yet. I see explosions of AI integrations. I did predict last year that AI would rapidly grow as teaching and learning tool… I’m going to now read again what I posted almost one year ago.
The one year old AI is growing up into toddler stage now :slight_smile:

2 Likes