Predictions: Calling all L&D Fortune Tellers

SUBMIT BY SEPT. 1
Seeking your L & D input! We’re asking the help of LX community members as we peer into the L&D crystal ball.

What do you see as the top issues in Learning and Development for the coming years that professionals will need to:

• Change
  • Ditch
  • Keep exactly as is

Originality valued; humor appreciated.

Manifest it in a reply here before SEPTEMBER 1, 2022. Best responses will be considered for inclusion in an e-book to be produced later this year. You’ll receive a free copy to distribute amongst your network.

5 Likes

Change 1. We’ve been moving in this direction, yet I believe we need to change our mental model around all learning experiences as an event. Move it into the workflow as an integrated component of the work experience providing support and solutions at the point of “kNOW” (knowing what is needed delivered now) while broadening and building the individual’s capabilities.

Change 2. Processes impact workflow and performance. If they’re bad, ugly, based in techniques and tools used 20 years ago, etc. then change them for the remote and hybrid space we’re in today. If they are non-existent or reside in people’s heads then invest in documenting and testing them so remote and hybrid work can move forward in a consistent, effective manner.

Ditch 1. The classroom model. We’ve seen that we can learn, and work, remotely and what we’ve learned is we want to be social so bring people together for the social, network development, aspect and focus on creating curious learners who collaborate.

Ditch 2. Training provides the technical skills to do the job. Yes but… the business behaviors people use with each other, with other groups, clients, customers are vital to performance success. Ditch the tech-centric instruction and build the work experience into the process. I have more on this soapbox!

Ditch 3. Using L&D metrics like test scores, hours of instruction, number of people trained, etc. Move from the ROI mindset to the ROL framework and use the metrics that matter to the business from quality, first call resolution, error rates, retention, sick/wellness days, injuries, etc. To support the business, and impact people’s performance, we need to be in the business and their operational framework. Ditto on soapbox here too.

What we need to keep is our advocacy for the working learner.

6 Likes

Love it, Bill @WJRyan. esp. documenting the techniques in play and testing them.

I’d love to hear more - and challenge @JennyN @Melby11 @Marsha @learning.lane

2 Likes
  • Change the delivery model of professional learning to be more responsive and respectful for human learning. Adopt the diversity, equitable, inclusive and accessible model (DEIA). More focused attention will likely increase how important it is to make learning human centric.

• Changes to the space and places of learning. Consider how learning is scaled, accessed, implemented and evaluated. Keep an eye on more innovative models of instruction- online, in person, or hybrid models that are being developed and piloted.

• Change the authority of the learning experience. Provide a venue of learning experiences to be selected by the learner giving the learner personalization and agency for learning.

• Ditch meeting requirements. Instead revise, replace, and abandon the old ways of ineffective ways of hosting meetings. Adopt digital technologies that are more efficient for scheduling meetings and/or teamwork/projects.

• Keep the systems that are effectively providing effective ways of communication with respect to the hierarchy in the Org Chart.

4 Likes

Change
I believe the real game changers in learning design will not only include engagement through participant-to-participant interactions but will also include other known best-learning practices to make learning memorable in building stronger neurological pathways that helps the content to “stick”.

DEI will be the norm in content design. The use of multiple modalities and universal design so content is accessible to all learners will be expected.

Artificial Intelligence and predictive algorithms will be used to anticipate and learn-the-learner in real-time while the user engages with content. Checking for understanding and assessment will be embedded into the design. Feedback will be responsive and specific to the user experience. This is already present with Google Translate, Netflix, Amazon and in in the EdTech field with companies like DreamBox Learning. (Think of actual feedback, “You entered XYZ try using numbers instead” and tips/hints appearing when you need them in real time.)

Keep
Hybrid learning and blended learning models will remain at the forefront of instruction.

Ditch
“Sit and get” trainings for professional development. Lecture style instruction should not be the sole delivery method for instruction and sharing information.

4 Likes

Great points! I’m curious to hear your thoughts on ditching the classroom model!! How can we measure the effectiveness of remote and online learning over in-person especially if we take the short term ROI (speed, comfort, saving costs) out of the equation?

1 Like

Welcome @aalqayyi . How do you measure your in-person? I’m guessing a mix of quizzes, tests, and demonstrations. The same work for remote and online learning too. I also focus more on the ROL centering on the business metrics to measure the effectiveness and impact of the learning solution on the business, measure what matters to the organization and see if the performance overall (quality, accuracy, waste, call resolution, sales increase, retention increase, sick/wellness days decrease, etc.). Performance success matters more than quiz and test scores I have found and funding followed happy operations leaders. :slight_smile:

2 Likes