If you can’t see me leading then how will you know I’m a leader?

Was at the US Distance Learning Conf. and listened to a participant that basically said, “if you can’t see me leading then how will you know I’m a leader?” That’s seems to be a concern as many are pushing for a return to the office and others are asking, why? Is success measured by how many people are on your team? I think it’s time to talk more about what success is and that means talking with people about what that means to them and coming to terms with the idea that the metric needs to change.

The phrase stuck with me and in this video , I share my view that leadership needs to be intentional with curiosity driving open conversations. As we’ve seen, for many remote and hybridwork saw performance improvement as teammates had increased flexibility, an increased sense of autonomy, and felt trusted by their supervisors. Plan the time and focus on the people, not the place, and measure success by the performance goals being met, on the development and promotion of our teammates, and the ability to attract and retain talent.

Curious what others are seeing, hearing, and experiencing in your respective workplaces? Share so we can all learn!