Learning Myths post

There’s lots of learning myths people still use, my personal fave is learning styles with the learning pyramid a close 2nd. I ran across a post worth checking out from @IvyPanda3 includes positive actions to take to get over the myth and move into method. @IreneFenswick 12 Learning Myths Exposed: How You Can Learn the Right Way

Working with clients I often get one of these brought up in good faith by them, if this happens to you how do you get past the myth and into practiced method?

1 Like

Hi Bill @WJRyan ,
The website resource is fabulous! I’m hopeful a high percentage of university professionals are aware of these myths :). A few years ago I used the learning pyramid in a webinar to highlight the intention behind it, which I’m believing, was to bring awareness to the many ways in which people process information. Another great resource that came to mind was from a MOOC course I completed on How People Learn by Professor Barbara Oakley. She introduced us to the Pomodoro Technique. It’s quiet simply a timer that can be set for about 10-20 minutes as a reminder to take those short brain breaks. Pomodoro LINK

1 Like

Great adds @Roxann ! I know this sound silly but 've found the quiet buzz on my Fitbit watch reminding me to go get at least 250 steps an hour has helped in this area too; I tend to stand up and walk around for 10 minutes without my phone or tech to stretch my legs and relax my mind.

1 Like

Hi Bill @WJRyan
Not silly, an audio haptic is an excellent notification to get some steps in and to relax too!

I added in the link below for the course I mentioned in my above post.
Dr. Oakley’s MOOC is now translated into four languages!!! Chinese, French, Spanish and Portuguese!!!

COURSERA Free Courses: Learning How to Learn and Mindshift (Mindshift is for business professionals)
Both courses can be taken independent or, concurrent. (Learning How to Learn is more learning-focused, and Mindshift is more career-focused.) A related course by the same instructors is Uncommon Sense Teaching.
LINK

1 Like