Opportunities & Challenges: Exploring the Awesomeness of AI

The incredible in person and online discussions about AI Chat GPT must now number in the thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of discussions, forums and social media posts.

For the awesome LX community, let’s take a look at just AI -chat bots, ( see link below) in the context of some opportunities in the business environment.

While it seems many businesses have been using chatbots for a few years, including NOVO Ed, the launch of Chat GPT last year, is clearly thought to be one of the most disruptive technologies to happen in recent years. Maybe the invisibleness of AI, now becoming highly touchable and visible because of Chat GPT, having made tremendous impact on the profession of instructional learning design and many other professions as well. For us in LXD and associated professions, AI offers incredible opportunities to re-evaluate the teaching and learning environments to consider using chat bots for providing authentic feedback- (more on what that really means in another post.)

Check out this link and feel free to leave your comments, thoughts, opinions and questions below.

Business implications of AI-powered chatbots like ChatGPT.

The Opportunities of Chat-Based AI

Tools like ChatGPT can create enormous opportunities for companies that leverage the technology strategically. Chat-based AI can augment how humans work by automating repetitive tasks while providing more engaging interactions with users.

Here are a few of the ways companies can use tools like ChatGPT:

• Compiling research
  • Drafting marketing content
  • Brainstorming ideas
  • Writing computer code
  • Automating parts of the sales process
  • Delivering aftercare services when customers buy products
  • Providing customized instructions
  • Streamlining and enhancing processes using automation
  • Translating text from one language to another
  • Smoothing out the customer onboarding process
  • Increasing customer engagement, leading to improved loyalty and retention

Customer service is a huge area of opportunity for many companies. Businesses can use ChatGPT technology to generate responses for their own customer service chatbots, so they can automate many tasks typically done by humans and radically improve response time.

According to an Opus Research report, 35% of consumers want to see more companies using chatbots — and 48% of consumers don’t care whether a human being or an automated chatbot helps them with a customer service query.

Overall, ChatGPT can be useful for any situation where you need to generate natural-sounding text based on input data.

On the other hand, the opportunities of AI-based chatbots can turn into threats if your competitors successfully leverage the technology and your company doesn’t.

LINK

DALL.E AI Image

2 Likes

When the technology can deliver accurate and personalized solutions over and over again patiently then why not let the tools take over. Focus people on solving the higher-level needs when appropriate.

1 Like

Hi @WJRyan ,
Thanks for you comment about using the AI tech as a solution helping with repetitive tasks and as a responsive design solution for providing personalized communication.

An interesting AI tool I’ve recently used, is called Descript AI. This AI is capable of translating what you type into your own voice or choosing another voice- anyone’s voice or the natural language (NLP) automated voices. This is a wonderful example of how the time consuming often tedious middle steps are skipped - the time to record your voice and then to possibly use a tool like Audacity to edit the audio and then to figure out how to make it accessible. Using AI for dubbing, voice translation will no doubt make a notable difference in designing learning environments for prosody as well as accessibility.

Additionally, the AI has completed the task of translating the audio, and almost simultaneously creating a closed captioned file (.SRT). Using this at capacity for media files that require translation, means the learning designer has time for a more productive work flow.

I’ve seen this type of AI used in various podcasting apps, some of which I notice not accessible- meaning offering multiple ways of viewing and interacting with the content. Closed captioning, CC, Downloadable files, and with more accessibility features too. This makes a huge difference for learners as well.

I will include another post feature the Descript AI tool.

1 Like

Please expand on this DescriptAI tool @Roxann , as a part of my consulting services I do author learning modules and I partner with a number of truly talented developers & designers that this could help tremendously.

You’ve highlighted something these tools bring that (I think) is overlooked. The ability to create a response/solution is level 1 but being able to generate different languages, different voices, captioned scripts and transcripts combines multiple steps and neatly delivers a comprehensive package. You create once and then are capable of delivering in multiple channels maximizing the time some “one” has allowing creative focus instead of clerical activities.

I was asked recently if I thought AI tools would be able to replace designers and to some level the response is yes. Multiple choice, matching, fill-in-the-blank questions can be generated yet this is where I see opportunity to learning professionals to move beyond the mundane towards robust design frameworks and assessment strategies. Designing ever increasing in complexity authentic assessments and creating the measurement tools (and training those to evaluate) will move learning from checking the box to experiencing the process in context. I’m excited to see where this will lead!

2 Likes

Hi Bill @WJRyan,

Thanks for asking about Descript. It is best for recording video, audio or podcasts, with incredible features. I think it might still be in Beta.

This is how their promo describes it:
Descript is a new kind of video editor that’s as easy as a doc. With a friendly interface and AI magic coming out its ears, it powers videos, podcasts, and businesses.

I find it’s best to go ahead and try it and see if is a tool that fits your learning design needs.

Three things it does Amazing as a User Experience UX:

1. It can add your own voice or you can use their voices,. The AI will recognize your voice and translate the text into your voice!
  2. It has auto transcription as you type. Meets basic CC, accessibility standard
  3. Editing is fast, frictionless

Descript LINK

This one was fun to try out! I will link mine soon!

1 Like