THE LX PRESENTS: How to Leverage Expertise When Your Experts Don’t Have Time

Singular expertise in learning programs is a key differentiator. We learn better when we have access to customized insights from experts who are the best at what they do.

However, as we all know, it can be VERY difficult to get experts and learners to participate together, in live, synchronous sessions, given competing and demanding schedules.

In this on-demand The LX Presents webinar, Zoë Epstein, Senior Learning Experience Designer at NovoEd, discuss the tools and tactics that you can use to leverage your experts… even when they don’t have the time.

Does anyone have any additional insight into how you’ve tackled this issue at your organization?

3 Likes

Great session (shout out to @zoe.epstein !) and I recently had a unique experience. A group I am consulting with had remote SMEs covering multiple time zones and travel is still not on the approved list, so the lead designer arranged a time where all were within their workday and sent them boxes of time appropriate goodies, coffee/tea and breakfast items to seltzers and fruit/sweets for late day folks. No one was expecting this, and the response rate ended up very high and they stayed on longer to socialize which has created an easier connection for the L&D team. No matter the location or distance, food still seems to work!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

LOVE this idea, @WJRyan!

2 Likes

It definitely takes a creative mind to manage everyone’s calendar of events! I don’t know if it really is totally possible. In any case, I often gave my goodies/food away in the university lunch room and every bit was gone by the end of the day! And that was easy because all of it was available to any one who stopped by at their leisure!
Maybe a calendar like calendly announcement when the items are going to be available might be an incentive to meet /greet with SME’s ?

I also chose motivational- useable items :). As a former classroom teacher- it was pencils and pens :slight_smile: Personalized of course with inspirational words, messages.

You have brought to mind some fun stuff Bill @WJRyan

2 Likes

An additional insight story which is very different but hopefully you might find a take away from it.

Over a decade ago, my university, decided to embark upon developing a vegetable garden for the entire university community. Everyone was welcomed to become involved in cultivating the garden right up until harvest and beyond. In the spring and summer, I often saw members of the university community walking to the garden to meet and share in conversation and picking and eating healthy bountiful vegetables, then sitting at the picnic tables for lunch and snacks. Many would bring back vegetables to share in their staff rooms and also brought vegetables home to their families and extended families. The community spirit of learning, sharing and participating in this large scale community garden project actively engaged the entire community in conversation and healthy purpose, made it a joy and seemingly successful.
It was very memorable to had been a part of this.

P.S. A few years later sadly, a majority of the people opted out of the community garden project.

The lesson learned… it does take a village, commitment, perseverance, creativity, community, constructive feedback, and much more to make a project sustainable.

I have a video of the garden and if I locate it I will post it. :slight_smile:

Thoughts, comments welcomed. :slight_smile: