EU Artificial Intelligence Act

The EU Artificial Intelligence Act has been published and will go in effect August 1, 2024. “The purpose of this Regulation is to improve the functioning of the internal market and promote the uptake of human-centric and trustworthy artificial intelligence (AI), while ensuring a high level of protection of health, safety, fundamental rights enshrined in the Charter, including democracy, the rule of law and environmental protection, against the harmful effects of AI systems in the Union and supporting innovation.”

My $.02 worth, I see the intention as positive focused on striving to ensure fair and equal treatment of all people in use as well as representation combined with a framework of literacy levels for all. With that, the actual steps to application will need responsible parties, both political and organizational, to create the space for fair use and results based in confirmed in datasets and not data that is generated for the sake of clicks. We do live in interesting times!

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:L_202401689

2 Likes

Hi Bill, @WJRyan

I think you $.02 should increase due to high inflation (;) .  This is interesting and wondering how fair and equal will be interpreted when this goes into effect. Indeed very interesting times.

Great resource link Bill…
(I’ve been focusing on my wellbeing courses and will be back soon! Wondering if anyone missed me LOL!

1 Like

I missed you - far far too quiet around here! The concept of “fair and equal” has always been one that I have grappled with as a leader, parent, employee. I prefer fair versus equal but who, and how to define? No answers do I have, open to the conversations that will evolve over time!

1 Like