Learn More About Emotions in the Learning Proces

Hello LX Community Members!
It’s springtime and it can be an opportunity to take a fresh look at how emotions play an important part of the learning process. The below article provides a quick review of key things to keep in mind about emotions, when designing learning experiences. For example, “When a person experiences positive emotions, the person learns well. When the person experiences negative emotions, the learning is not so effective. According to Dr. Wagner, the brain responds differently to different emotions.”

With that in mind…

“As instructional designers, we need to clearly understand how emotions influence the learning process. Knowing this will help you figure out what makes learners tick, why they feel the way they do, and how to channel their emotions to make them learn more effectively.”

LINK

Comments and discussions are always welcomed here the awesome LX space!

2 Likes

I love this @Roxann especially the “why”, we don’t always do a good job of explaining the value proposition (aka “WIIFM”) to the people we’re trying to help. I would also add a “when”, our brains are more open when we must know how to perform effectively so moving into the workflow is important to learn in the moment of need.

2 Likes

Hi @WJRyan ,
Yes, definitely I would agree! The “when”, our brains are more open when we must know how to perform effectively so moving into the workflow is important to learn in the moment of need.
How learners choose to move into their workflow is based I believe, is based upon their emotional regulation strategies. I added those below.

On another note, I was curious about the emotional language sometimes generated in GAI prompt responses. I wanted to investigate in a limited way, how a learner might seek to better understand prompt responses that have suggestive emotional language, and to uncover how GAI can intentionally or unintentionally provide context that can be emotionally consequential.

The below is the rubric for the GAI Emotional Recognition and Sentiment Analysis. A future discussion to follow will be how this might effect creating learning experiences using GAI… whatever your thoughts are love to hear!

LINK

Emotion Regulation Strategies

1. Deep Breathing: Taking slow, deep breaths can help students calm their nervous system and reduce stress or anxiety, allowing them to focus better on their learning tasks.
  2. Mindfulness: Practicing mindfulness involves paying attention to the present moment without judgment. It can help students become more aware of their thoughts and emotions, and develop a sense of self-regulation, which can support their ability to stay focused and engaged in their learning.
  3. Physical Exercise: Engaging in physical activity, such as walking, stretching, or doing simple exercises, can release endorphins and help students regulate their emotions. Regular physical exercise has also been linked to improved cognitive function, memory, and attention, which can benefit their learning abilities.
  4. Self-Talk: Encouraging positive self-talk can help students reframe negative thoughts or emotions into more positive and constructive ones. By changing their internal dialogue, students can better manage their emotions and maintain a positive mindset, which can enhance their motivation and productivity in learning.
  5. Time Management: Teaching students effective time management skills can reduce stress and overwhelm, and help them prioritize their tasks. By planning and organizing their learning activities, students can avoid last-minute cramming or procrastination, and better regulate their emotions related to academic deadlines or expectations.
  6. Social Support: Encouraging students to seek support from trusted friends, family members, or teachers can help them express their emotions, gain perspective, and receive practical advice. Social support can reduce feelings of isolation, anxiety, or depression, and promote emotional well-being, which can positively impact their learning abilities.
  7. Problem-Solving: Teaching students problem-solving skills, such as identifying the issue, generating potential solutions, and evaluating their effectiveness, can help them regulate their emotions related to challenges or setbacks in their learning. Problem-solving skills can foster a proactive and solution-oriented mindset, which can improve their resilience and adaptability in the face of difficulties.
  8. Cognitive Restructuring: Helping students identify and challenge negative or unhelpful thoughts can support their emotional regulation. By replacing negative thoughts with more balanced and realistic ones, students can manage their emotions and perceptions in a healthier way, which can enhance their learning abilities and reduce unnecessary stress or anxiety.
  9. Relaxation Techniques: Practicing relaxation techniques, such as progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, or visualization, can help students calm their body and mind, and regulate their emotions. Regular relaxation exercises can improve their emotional well-being and ability to concentrate, which can positively impact their learning performance.
  10. Humor: Encouraging students to use humor or engage in activities that make them laugh can boost their mood and reduce stress. Humor can also help students gain perspective, cope with difficult situations, and regulate their emotions, which can create a positive learning environment and enhance their learning outcomes.

In summary, these 10 emotional regulation strategies can help students manage their emotions, reduce stress, and create a conducive learning environment. By regulating their emotions effectively, students can improve their focus, motivation, resilience, and overall well-being, which can support their learning and academic success.

How the brain is involved in learning and the importance of emotional regulation in learning.

The brain plays a critical role in the process of learning, and emotional regulation is closely intertwined with cognitive processes in the brain. Here’s how the brain is involved in learning and why emotional regulation is important in the learning process:

1. The Limbic System: The limbic system, which includes structures such as the amygdala and hippocampus, is responsible for processing emotions and memories. Emotional experiences can activate the limbic system, which can impact cognitive processes, including attention, memory, and motivation. When emotions are heightened, such as during stress or anxiety, the limbic system can affect the ability to learn and retain information.
  2. The Prefrontal Cortex: The prefrontal cortex, located at the front of the brain, is involved in higher cognitive functions, such as decision-making, problem-solving, and self-regulation. It plays a crucial role in emotional regulation by helping to regulate and manage emotions. When students are able to regulate their emotions effectively, the prefrontal cortex is better able to function optimally, allowing for improved cognitive processes that support learning.
  3. Neurotransmitters: Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers in the brain that transmit signals between nerve cells. Certain neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin, are closely associated with emotions, mood, and motivation, and can impact learning. When students are in a positive emotional state, with balanced neurotransmitter levels, they are more likely to be engaged, motivated, and focused on their learning tasks.
  4. Cognitive Load: Emotional regulation can also impact cognitive load, which refers to the amount of mental effort required to process and integrate new information. High emotional arousal, such as stress or anxiety, can increase cognitive load, making it more challenging for students to process and retain information. On the other hand, effective emotional regulation can lower cognitive load, allowing students to better allocate mental resources to their learning tasks.
  5. Learning Environment: Emotions can also influence the learning environment. When students are experiencing strong emotions, it can impact their behavior, relationships with peers and teachers, and overall classroom dynamics. Effective emotional regulation can help create a positive and conducive learning environment where students feel emotionally safe, supported, and motivated to learn.

In summary, emotional regulation is crucial for learning as it impacts various cognitive processes in the brain, such as attention, memory, motivation, and decision-making. When students are able to regulate their emotions effectively, it creates an optimal environment for learning, allowing them to better engage, process information, and retain knowledge. Incorporating emotional regulation strategies into education can support students’ emotional well-being and enhance their learning outcomes.

1 Like

So I take it you have given up sleeping @Roxann? Lot of effort here and I think the opportunity to go beyond the educational framework is timely and needed. Recent call with my mother centered on how a chatbot had fooled her for a while into a conversation and her emotional reaction when she figured out that a tool was talking was insightful (ok, and a little funny to her son but I digress!).

The rubric is a good outline in a direction needed, I think there will need to be additional focus on the scoring to provide a consistent evaluation (my “poor” might not be yours for example) however I do think organizations looking to put tools and platforms online could use this research focus as they beta test with live participants.

1 Like

Hi Bill @WJRyan ,
Sometime I do sleep! LOL! Because there is so much excitement in most of the learning spaces we know of right now, I’m never bored at all! It is a pleasure to be here in this awesome LX Community to watch all the learning spaces evolve and GAI unfold into these spaces. America is a great experiment and I think pretty much the same of GAI right now, and hopefully there will be even more innovative learning environments leading to incredible, yet to be created learning experiences developed.

My mother story sounds familiar as I can recall some of my former co-workers who were only in their mid 50’s, seemed to be taken in by fake emails and websites that looked like what today we would think of as deep fakes. What also comes to mind is what Brent Anders, an academic on Twitter I follow, who often discusses AI literacy and this is definitely needed for everyone.

I’m glad to be alive at this exciting time to enjoy all the technology changes and challenges in learning experience design and see the how and what develops in the professional spaces aligned in the teaching and learning environments how these new developments impact learning experiences for all ages.

1 Like